Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Makings of a Christmas Tree

I try to post photos that show a little bit of the process behind that glass art I create. In this case I am making three Christmas Trees as a private commission for three friends who live in Colorado. They sent me their wine bottles and I went shopping at some of the vintage antique stores for unusual additional pieces of green glass.
This was the shape I was hoping for when I broke these wine bottles. I just needed the stems as the stems serve for the top part of the Christmas Tree.

The glass in this photo is traditional flat glass cut in a diamond shapes and in different shades of greens. Deep forest green, Kelly green, teal, jade, and pastel light green. These glass pieces will fill in the branches of the tree. No two branches are alike on any tree and some have different colors if you really look close.


I foiled, fluxed and soldered every piece of glass that was broke or cut. In these two photos, it shows the beginnings of the three trees. The base of each tree came from two broken antique tea glasses and the other an antique plant vase that was the shape of a tree trunk.



From the top view, looking down into the trees. I constantly had to look at the trees from all angles as I built it up, I didn't want to have a lop-sided tree!




No comments: