Tuesday, June 14, 2011

"Blooming Red Cactus" or "Sea Anemone"

What does it look like to you?
I bought a couple of giant red/orange vases that had a bumpy texture to the thick glass. I broke them and put the shapes together that made the most sense and this is what happened.  I had a desore to get my hands going, get my head and heart back in the glass and awaken my imaginative side. I found the glass flowers a few days after I started the process in a thrift store in Shawnee, Ok.
There is an expolsion of color when the light shines through it.  You could put a small light inside, a candle, a string of tiny red or white Christmas lights, etc. It definitely must be placed in direct sunlight from any nearby window to reach and provide its fullest potential.
The inspiration for this piece of glass art came from my experinces in Sedona, AZ.  It was spring and there were vibrant flowers blooming out of cacti. I wondered to myself how did they bloom so vibrant in such a rouch, dry, and windblown terrain?  This made such an impression on me. Thriving in the midest of adversity.   

No comments: