Thursday, July 28, 2011

Finished: "Flower Sconce" for the October 1st, 2011 Oklahoma Visual Arts Coalition 12x12 Fundraiser

After three years I was finally invited to submit work for the October 1st, 2011 Oklahoma Visual Arts Coalition 12x12 Fundraiser held in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The 12x12 is the Oklahoma Visual Arts Coalition's only fundraiser. It provides an evening of art by some of Oklahoma’s finest artists, delectable food and fun. Many art lovers begin or grow their art collection at this event. With 150 Oklahoma artists participating, a wide variety of styles and media are represented. Each artist submits one artwork that is twelve-by-twelve-inches or smaller.
I immediately thought of a sconce of some sort which could be lit up throughout the evening event. I was ready to work with some of my favorite colors which are shades of red, orange, fuchsia, and chartreuse.  With those colors in mind, how could I not consider creating a bright bold flower. Look how it turned out and I love it! The photo below shows the sconce with no lights shining inside.  
   
This photo shows the left view. I had broken up a big red vase at home before I left for New Mexico. I foiled most of the large chunks plus several broken pieces of a fuchsia antique plate. One of my special finds at Green's Corner in Shawnee, Ok. When I came home I cut several more pieces, then foiled and soldered each one together in the shape of a big flower. I stained the silver solder lines with a Black Patina. 

I have a feeling it will sell. I also have a feeling I will want to make several more of these  flower sconces but in different colors and in different types of flowers.  YAY!
This is a photo showing the right side. It fits within a 12x12 space and is four inches thick at it's widest point.  
Click to this link to find out more information:

No comments: