Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Am working in Silver Springs, Maryland this week.




These paintings were created by Jack Hill.
He recently passed away and the
celebration of his life will be this
coming Saturday, January26th, 2008.
He was always putting together unique combinations of colors in his paintings. Combinations I had not seen before, and they always intrigued me.
When I would spend time with him at the gallery, with the other artist's or in meetings...he would usually speak his mind about things...sometimes saying things I wish I had had the nerve to say.
When he said them, he said them in sort of a snippity way, sometimes in a silly way...and then I would see those expressions he would make. He was so gentle, and welcomed me into this great group of people. I always told my daughter how much I liked his soul, and that it felt so good to be near him. During the big ice storm in Oklahoma, I had heard that Gayle, and Cynthia, maybe a few others who were without electricity had congregated over at his house...even though I lived an hour away and had all of the comforts of home...including electricity..I was jealous that they were all there and I wasn't. I had never met a man like him.
Probably more than anything I can remember about Jack...for me...is that I felt "safe" around him. I could be myself.
In this world with so much skepticism and dis-trust, so many walls we have built around us..I found refuge in his friendship.

No comments: