Sunday, July 13, 2008

Meet a special friend of mine....

This is a dear friend of mine, named Pauline. I met her years ago when we worked together. She has lived in this house for 49 years. She remembers how they would wash their clothes in a big kettle. She and her husband had two children together. They raised cows and bees to make honey. Pauline's husband passed away many years ago. He used to also play a mean fiddle she says.
She wanted to take me to her shed to get some old glass lights that she thought I could use in my glass art. How can you not like her sweet smile....if you could know her, you would see that her heart is just as gentle. She still likes to read to children, and believes having an education is very important. Would you believe that during this past school year, she had tutored two young girls to read, and helped them with homework?
In this shed was where they kept the meat. Cows, and pigs were what helped them get through.

She has such a young heart...we talk about a lot of things together. I always send her a postcard from each state that I visit when I am working all over the country. I have kept up with this committment for the past five and a half years. She gave me some peat moss plants and a hot pepper plant to take home and grow. She says some of most favorite times are sitting out on her porch watching her hummingbirds.

No comments: